Thursday, January 29, 2009
I see so many people living out my dreams for my life, and either throwing it all away or hating every minute of it. I just think to myself "can't you see what a treasure you have in front of you?" and it hurts. I tend to fall into a depression of sorts when I'm overwhelmed with being a PK, or having a tough time at a job I never wanted, but God obviously wants me in, or when I hear from my friends who are living their dreams, and just want to share their joy. But every time that I fall into the trap, God shows me just how good I have it! He shows me that some of those friends that I envy have so many struggles themselves. The pain they feel is a million times worse than mine. He lets me see just how rewarding being a PK can be, by sending someone along with an encouraging word. He shows me once again just how perfectly this job I didn't want was an integral part of His plan for my life.
One day I'll have to write my life story for ya'll. I tend to shy away from it under the excuse that most of ya'll know it, but I've seen in reading some of your accounts just how much goes on behind the scenes that we looking on from the outside don't see or understand. Mostly though, I'm scared at what I'm going to have to face. I tend to internalize everything, but when I let it out, it really comes out.... :) So be patient with me.... it will come one day, I promise! In the meantime, pray for me, huh? And whenever you think your life isn't making the impact you would like it to, remember you've made a difference in the life of a Florida girl trapped in New Jersey. Ok, I know, I'm working on the trapped feeling, and striving to feel content where God has placed me during this season of my life! :)
For all of you who have posted your stories-Thanks so much. You'll never know how much God has used your story in my life.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
My other addiction.... crocheting! I've been keeping my hands busy while watching TV.... See? Watching TV can be productive! :) I just love when it actually starts to look like a blanket, or whatever I'm making.. :)
Just had to share my happy moments with you! Have a good weekend!
Monday, January 19, 2009
You might be a MK/PK if:
- you sort your Christmas mailing list by continents
- you can speak three languages, and can't spell in any of them
- you cruise the Internet looking for fonts that support your "native" language's alphabet.
- you feel you need to move after you've lived in the same place for a month/year...
- you have a name in at least two different languages, and it's not the same one.
- you don't think that two hours is a long sermon.
- you haggle with the checkout girl for a lower price.
- you refer to gravel roads as highways.
- fitting 15 or more people into a car seems normal to you.
- you know how to pack. (really pack... like fitting all your earthly possessions in 1 bag that weighs under 50 lbs)
- you realize that furlough is not a vacation.
- you do your devotions in another language.
- you have friends from or in 29 different countries.
- you speak with authority on the subject of airline travel.
- you can cut grass with a machete, but can't start a lawnmower.
- you watch nature documentaries, and think about how good that animal would taste if it were fried. ROFL!!!
- you consider a city 500 km away to be "very close".
- you have a time zone map next to your telephone.
- you read National Geographic and recognize someone.
- you can't answer the question, "Where are you from?" in less than 20 minutes. Hahaha
- the family gathers round the computer to check the email.
- you forget that your grandparents speak only English.
- you have a passport but no driver's license.
- you watch National Geographic channel and recognize someone.
- you keep dreaming of a green Christmas.
- you wince when people mispronounce foreign words.
- you have strong opinions on how to cook bugs.
- you know there is no such thing as an international language.
- most of your friends can't speak English.
- you watch a movie set in a foreign country, and you know what the local people are REALLY saying!
- you think nothing of straddling white lines to pass between buses or trucks travelling side by side, because There was plenty of room, Officer! Honest! At least 15 centimetres clearance!
- the message on your answering machine is in two languages.
- you habitually buy food supplies in bulk.
- you are cold when it is 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- you always have music handy because someone will have you sing a special. (even when you can't sing!)
- you've perfected the "genuine" Barbie smile!
- you know they lie when they say it takes less muscles to smile than not to smile.
- you've taught every Sunday School age group by the age of 16.
- you've memorized the major fast food's menus. Prices too!
- you consider someone who you've only met 3 times your best friend. :)
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Yesterday I had a rude awakening! As most of you know, I have a MINI Cooper. It's a sports car. It has a very powerful engine, and very tight steering. It's a dream to drive, a whole lot of fun! Well, it has been nearly two years of driving in this car and when you drive a brand new sports car you get a certain amount of respect from other drivers on the road around you! People don't try to drag race you at stoplights or play stupid passing games on the highway because they know you can leave them in your dust if you so choose!
Well, yesterday I had to drive Mom and Dad's car to pick them up from the airport. They drive a Mercury Grand Marquis, it's definitely not a sports car, but still nice. So I didn't expect a problem driving it, I mean, I drove one for 2 years!
So anyway, I'm on the highway, and there was this brand new sporty, hybrid, SUV driving completely normal albeit slow, (come on the speed limit was 65!) and I passed it. Now, mind you I'm on cruise control at about 69 so it's not like I blew by or anything. Completely normal, right? Well about 2 minutes later this vehicle starts to pull alongside me, and just hangs out not quite in front of me. It blocked me in behind slower vehicles twice before I decided to get away from it and prevent an accident. I tried speeding up to pass, and it's matching my speed, I try slowing down, and it slows down. You can just tell it's thinking "I'm not letting this granny car show me up, I am a Hybrid, I rule the road!" By this time I'm ticked! I was about to take an exit just to get away, when we start to get passed by this whole group of cars. Hybrid lets the group of sports cars by without flinching. (ever notice how they travel in packs??) Behind the sports cars, a beat up junker comes flying by. Of course, Hybrid ain't gonna let this fly! It rules the road, it's a hybrid! So it takes off after the poor junker who dared pass it, and I'm left in peace wishing I was in my MINI and among the privileged few allowed to roam the highways without being harassed by the Hybrid.
Friday, January 2, 2009
Become an Actress! Jk :) But I do resolve to have more fun, do more things "just because", and overall just enjoy my life! Why should we spend all our time stressing out about things we can't control? As the song says "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think" I really think it helped me get thru last year. I went on 3, count em, 3 vacations! And I needed every one. By the way the pic is of me on vacation last January in my starring role as Sandie Dessert! :)