Romans 8:25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Who I Am

Well, I’m sure you all are excited about this one. I’ve been nagged a lot by ya’ll about posting something about who I am and how I ended up where I am today. Well today is your lucky day! J It’s just a snapshot of me, and I know everyone wants the engagement story, but that has to wait a while. It will be long and I don’t know if I’m really comfortable posting it online yet. But in the meantime enjoy what you get! Hehehe!

Who I Am

I am a military brat. I will always be defined as one. J The military shaped my childhood. They sent my family to far off places and taught me to sleep anywhere anytime. They instilled a bit of the nomad into me. I moved 6 times before I was 15. That averages out to once every 3 years. To this day if I live somewhere longer than 3 years I get a little (ok, a lot) antsy.

My parents were both saved when I was very young. My dad was called to preach when I was pretty young as well. I still remember the first time he preached. I think we still have that goofy helmet! J Add preacher’s kid to my definition of me. I have been one so long I don’t think I really remember how not to be one! I might not always like it, but it defines me.

I was saved at the age of 6. A missionary came to our junior church and actually preached and gave an invitation. He talked all about what it was like being a missionary, and telling other people about Jesus. I decided then and there that I wanted to tell people about Jesus too. As he gave the invitation, I realized that I needed to be saved before I could tell other people how to get saved. I was so disappointed that I couldn’t raise my hand when the missionary asked how many kids were saved. I think it was the first time I realized that I wasn’t saved. I started crying. One of my teachers saw me crying and asked me if I needed to be saved. I said yes and she led me to the Lord. Add sinner saved by grace to that definition!

I got engaged at 18. He was the first and only boy I dated. I was engaged for 7 months. I struggled for a long time with God about what HIS will was in the relationship was. I know for a fact that it was His will to say yes to the proposal, but I knew after a time that it was not His will to get married. When I broke the engagement, it was not a pretty break-up. The break-up and some subsequent experiences with men in the next year left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to men. It took a while for the wounds to heal, but they have and now I am waiting for God to send me a husband.  Add single to the definition of me.

At 19 I entered the workforce. After 4 and a half years on the career track in banking, I lost my job. I looked for a new job, but had no success. All the while I was once again struggling with God. I knew He wanted me to go to college, but I didn’t know how I was going to afford it, and anyways I wanted to take correspondence so I could work while I took classes. I finally gave in to God though and just started the process of applying to PCC. I was terrified about school. I have always been a good student, but I had never had a schoolroom experience. I was home schooled K-12. And I am older than several of the teachers. I didn’t know how that would work out. Fortunately though, God was just waiting for me to hand all of my concerns over to Him. He has been a HUGE comfort, my steady rock, the only one who I can depend on to always come thru. I have been living by faith for the last year. Every bill that comes, I don’t know where the money is going to come from, but God has always provided right on time. Finish the description of me with broke, old college student. J

So there you have me in a nutshell. A military brat, PK, sinner saved by grace, single, broke, old college student. J

No comments: